Skip to main content

Alexander Memorial Coliseum Construction Photographs

 Collection — Box: Multi
Identifier: VAC204

Overview

This collection contains pictures of the construction of the William Alexander Memorial Coliseum, primarily of the dome perched atop the Coliseum.

Dates

  • 1954-1956

Physical Description

(This collection contains 21 items)

Restrictions: Access

None.

Restrictions: Use

Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.

Extent

0.1 Linear feet

Scope and Contents

This collection is solely comprised of pictures of the construction of the William Alexander Memorial Coliseum. The pictures primarily focus on the dome that was perched on top of the Coliseum.

Biographical/Historical note

This collection contains pictures of the construction of the William Alexander Memorial Coliseum, named after William A. Alexander, former Yellow Jacket football coach and athletic director. The Coliseum, now called the McCamish Pavilion following recent renovations, was completed in 1956 and is distinguished by its notable dome. The pictures within this collection focus primarily on the construction of the Coliseum's dome, which would give rise to the Coliseum's nickname "the Thrillerdome."

Provenance

Accession number: 2011.010

Physical Description

(This collection contains 21 items)

Processing Information note

Taylor Prichard and Mandi D. Johnson processed this collection in April 2014.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository

Contact:
Library
Georgia Institute of Technology
266 4th Street, NW
Atlanta 30332-0900 USA
404-894-4586