The English Department was part of Georgia Tech's course study when the school opened its doors in 1888. Throughout the years, the English Department moved to different departments and colleges. In 1990, the department moved to Literature, Communication, and Culture. This collection contains numerous reports, such as annual reports and reports to faculty and staff.
(1 document case)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections
0.2 Linear Feet
This collection includes several reports of Georgia Tech's English Department. The first four folders house annual reports from 1935-1936 and from 1946-1960. They discuss the yearly budgets and professors' salaries.
Folder 5 contains a report by Albert Bloom to the Faculty and Staff of Georgia School of Technology.
The English Department was part of Georgia's course study when the school opened its doors in 1888. Reverend Charles Lanewas the first head of the department. English was required by all the students, from Apprentices through Seniors. By the early 20th century, it was only required for only freshmen through juniors.
Throughout the years, the English Department moved to different departments and colleges. By the 1950s, the department was part of the General College. In the 1980s, it was part of the College of Science and Liberal Studies. In 1990, the department moved to Literature, Communication, and Culture.
The Annual Reports are arranged in chronological order in the first four folders. The report to the faculty and staff is housed in the last folder.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
This collection was donated by Dr. Anibel Jenkins in 1983 (Accession #2001.111).
(1 document case)
Jody Lloyd processed these papers in 2001.