Georgia Tech opened its doors on October 8, 1888 with 129 students. By 1905, the enrollment had increased to 500, due to the recruiting efforts of the administration. Numerous advertisements and brochures were produced to boost Tech's student population during the early twentieth century. This collection includes brochures, advertisement clippings, and a poster focusing on Georgia Tech's recruiting attempts in its early years.
(one document case)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.4 Linear Feet
The Georgia Tech Recruiting Materials collection includes printed materials produced by the school in order to increase the student population. The collection mainly consists of brochures dating from the early twentieth century. Advertising clippings and correspondence are also included.
Georgia Tech opened its doors on October 8, 1888 with 129 students. The school offered only one degree, which was a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Georgia Tech was also limited to one building, the Academic Building, now known as the Administration Building or the Tech Tower.
By 1905, the enrollment had increased to 500, and several new buildings were constructed. New dormitories, shops, mills, and laboratories were added. Also, that same year, numerous degrees were offered by Georgia Tech, such as Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, and Textile Engineering. This was all due to the meticulous recruiting effort of Georgia Tech's administration. Numerous advertisements and brochures were created to increase the school's student population.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Accessions #2001.092 (old number: 2001.92) and #2001.115.
One large poster has been moved to the oversized area and five negatives have been separated into the negative drawer.
(one document case)
Jody Lloyd processed these papers in 2001.