This collection contains the office files of the Atlanta Section of ASME, including meeting agendas and minutes, correspondence, bylaws and guidelines, officer and committee files, membership directories and news, and files on the history of the Section.
(24 document cases)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
9.6 Linear Feet
This collection contains the office files of the Atlanta Section of ASME, including meeting agendas and minutes, correspondence, bylaws and guidelines, officer and committee files, membership directories and news, and files on the history of the Section. The first series, which has been arranged alphabetically by file title, includes records on the organization's history, by-laws revisions, correspondence, and materials on awards and the Historical Mechanical Engineering Landmarks Program, particularly the drive in the mid 1980s to recognize the Stirling Boilers of the Elk Cotton Mills in Dalton as historical landmarks. The second series, which is in its original chronological arrangement, contains copies of some of the earliest documents of the Section, including by-laws and early meeting programs, as well as administrative files covering the period from the late 1950s to the early 1990s. Correspondence, meeting agendas and minutes, information on Section officers and membership, and materials on the annual Christmas party are among the documents included in this series. Two folders contain correspondence and biographical information on John Saylor Coon, the first chairman of the Atlanta Section.
These records do not cover the period of the late 1920s through the early 1950s, and there is very little material on the late 1990s.
The first meeting of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers - Atlanta Section, a local branch of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, took place on June 21, 1913. John Saylor Coon, the first Mechanical Engineering and Drawing professor at the Georgia School of Technology, was one of the fourteen founding members and the first chairman of the Section. A constitution and by-laws were approved in August 1916. Membership grew steadily during the decades following, reaching 600 members by 1977. The Section began holding monthly meetings early in its existence, with presentations on technical topics of interest to the mechanical engineering community. This practice continues in the early years of the twenty-first century.
The Atlanta Section, originally part of Region IV of the national American Society of Mechanical Engineers, became part of Region XI when it was formed in the spring of 1962.
This collection is arranged into two series:
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
This collection was donated by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers - Atlanta Section through the School of Mechanical Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
Obtained by gift, 2002 (accession #2002.090).
This collection may have additional donations in the future.
The photographs in this collection have been separated and will be processed separately as VAM345.
(24 document cases)
Christine de Catanzaro and Mallory Velten processed these records in September 2008.