The architectural firm of Jova/Daniels/Busby provided architecture, planning, and interior design services for commercial, institutional, health care, public, and educational clients. This collection contains drawings from projects in these areas, ca. 1966-2000.
66 cubic feet (20 drawers)
Certain files are restricted; these are indicated in the container list. Additional restrictions may be imposed on access or use of other materials that could compromise security or operations.
Restrictions may be imposed on access or use of materials that could compromise security or operations. Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
66 Cubic Feet
The Jova/Daniels/Busby Visual Materials Collection contains architectural drawings, sketches, and renderings related to their various projects, ca. 1966-2000. This collection does not contain materials from all Jova/Daniels/Busby projects; many of their projects are not represented here. Even the projects documented in this collection may not contain complete sets of drawings.
The projects are listed in alphabetical order. Any known project number is given in parentheses after the name. The numbers in brackets reflect the drawing set's location in the firm's original housing: the first number is the box, the second is the cell number.
All of the projects in this collection are located in Georgia; most are in the metro-Atlanta area. Any known locations are provided in brackets.
Henri Jova, Stanley Daniels, and John Busby founded the architecture and interior design firm Jova/Daniels/Busby in 1966. The firm provided architecture, planning, and interior design services to commercial, institutional, health care and research, public, and educational clients. They were instrumental in planning and designing Atlanta’s Colony Square, the first mixed-use development in the Southeast. The Jova/Daniels/Busby firm closed in January 2013.
Henri Jova was born in New York on 11 May 1919. After serving with the US Army Combat Engineers during WWII, he graduated from Cornell University in 1949. Jova, the winner of the Prix de Rome and a Fulbright Fellowship, studied in Rome until 1951. He worked in New York City until 1954 when he moved to Atlanta to join Abreu and Robeson Architects. Jova was instrumental in revitalizing Atlanta’s Midtown. In addition to the Jova/Daniels/Busby project Colony Square, Jova personally bought and renovated several area properties and helped found and form organizations like the Midtown Neighborhood Association. Jova retired from Jova/Daniels/Busby in 2002. He died on 13 January 2014 in West Palm Beach, FL.
Stanley Daniels was born in 1937. Daniels grew up in Atlanta and attended Georgia Tech, graduating with an architecture degree in 1960. Following additional studies at the Ecole des Beaux Artes Fontainebleu in France, Daniels returned to Atlanta where he worked for David O. Savini and then John Portman Associates before the founding of Jova/Daniels/Busby. Daniels has served on the College of Architecture’s Board of Directors and as a Trustee for the Georgia Institute of Technology Alumni Association.
John A. Busby, Jr. was born in Charleston, SC in 1933. Busby entered Georgia Tech in 1952 and completed four years of architecture school before entering the US Army. He served two years in the Army, then returned to Georgia Tech. After receiving his architecture degree in 1959, Busby stayed in Atlanta working first for the firm of Abreu and Robeson, then Heery and Heery. He served as president of the Atlanta chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) from 1974-1975 and then as AIA's national president, 1985-1986. Busby retired from active practice in 1999.
The firm of Jova/Daniels/Busby was founded in 1966. The firm had its start in the mid-1960s when John Busby and Stanley Daniels, former Georgia Tech classmates, began working on commissions in the evenings after working at their respective firms. In addition to Colony Square, other well-known Jova/Daniels/Busby projects include the Carter Center, Peachtree United Methodist Church, and the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. In January 2013, Jova/Daniels/Busby closed and filed for bankruptcy.
A print copy of this finding aid is available on request in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Accession number: 2014.057.
Additional materials may be added to this collection in the future. The finding aid will be updated as needed.
66 cubic feet (20 drawers)
Mandi D. Johnson processed these drawings in June 2015.
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository