This collection contains photographs depicting the Georgia Tech campus and dormitory life during the early twentieth century. The description of the photographs provided is identical to that written on the images.
(one archival folder)
All photograph copyright restrictions under the laws of the United States Copyright must be obeyed. All photographs in this collection are subject to approval before publication may be permitted. Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.05 Linear Feet
The photographs are gelatin silver prints, and all photographs have been mounted on cardboard. The photographs are in fair to poor condition with a great deal of fading..
Frank O. Walsh, Jr. was born on February 24, 1903 in Montgomery, Alabama. He spent portions of his childhood in Sao Paolo, Brazil, where his father helped rebuild and expand the Brazilian National Railway, and in Augusta, Georgia, where his family lost their home in the Great Augusta Fire of 1916. In 1919, the family relocated to Atlanta, where Walsh remained most of the rest of his life.
He graduated from Georgia Tech in 1924 with a degree in mechanical engineering, and went on to earn an M.S.S. degree from Cornell University. At Georgia Tech, he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, Glee and Mandolin Clubs, and also played junior varsity football. He supported Georgia Tech throughout his life.
A manufacturer's representative in Atlanta for more than forty years, Walsh was also active in the Piedmont Driving Club,Georgia Engineering Society, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Military Order of World Wars, American Ordnance Association, American Legion, Atlanta Civil War Roundtable, Atlanta Historical Society, and the Georgia Tech Alumni Association. In 1939, he married Robyn Young Peeples and they had three children: Margaret Elizabeth Walsh (d. 1967), Robyn Walsh Keiley, and Frank O. Walsh, III. Frank Walsh, Jr. died on December 21, 1998.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Phillip Gowdy donated these photographs in 1998. Accession #1998.1103 (old number: 98-11-03).
(one archival folder)
Jody Lloyd Thompson processed these papers in 2002.