This collection contains maps of Georgia Tech’s Atlanta campus from 1907-2010. The collection includes general campus maps, parking maps, maps for walking or driving tours, perspective maps, and campus master plans.
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
4 Linear Feet
This collection contains maps of Georgia Tech’s Atlanta campus from 1907-2014. The collection includes general campus maps, parking maps, maps for walking or driving tours, perspective maps, and campus master plans. Many of the maps contain additional information, such as parking regulations, advertisements for local businesses, or general facts about the school including degrees conferred and enrollment numbers.
The majority of maps in the collection are original, only a few are copies. There are some duplicates. Most of the maps include a copyright or school year date. For the undated maps, fairly specific dates were determined based on the existence of particular buildings, what buildings were under construction, etc.
When the Georgia School of Technology first opened its doors in 1888, classes were held in two buildings located on nine acres of land in midtown Atlanta. That first year, 129 students enrolled. Enrollment grew to more than 1000 by 1918, and nearly 6000 by the 1944-1945 school year. This type of growth prompted the continual need for more space and additional buildings. By 1960, approximately 65 buildings on 153 acres comprised the Georgia Tech campus which served about 6700 students. In 2008, the Atlanta campus encompasses 400 acres and approximately 150 buildings with a student enrollment of more than 18,000. The frequent changes in the physical layout, including new buildings, street closures, and building designations, require campus maps to be revised often.
The maps in this collection are arranged in chronological order. Large maps are located in a flat file drawer while the smaller maps are housed in an archival box and folders.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Accessions #2005.068, 2002.058, 2006.214, 2007.064, and 2007.077.
This collection may receive additional accessions in the future. These materials will be added to the collection and this finding aid updated as needed.
Mandi D. Johnson processed these maps in July 2008.