This collection contains one black and white photograph of the dedication of the Chi Epsilon key monument on the Georgia Tech campus in September 1945.
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.05 Linear Feet
This collection contains one black and white photograph of the dedication of the Chi Epsilon key monument in September 1945. The cover of the 15 September 1945 Technique has a brief article about the monument, entitled, “Honorary CE Frat Erects Bronze Key.” The article reads, in part, “Under the direction of J.H. Henika the work which began last semester . . . has been completed and the pieces have been mounted in front of the CE Building. Made of cast bronze, the key was designed for the honorary Civil Engineering fraternity by Mr. Henika and cast by a Chi Epsilon working crew which included Homer Flippen, Joe Foy, David Tudeen, Frank Smith, and H.M. Furman, president. The key, as faithful duplicate . . . even to the red setting in the center, weighs almost 100 pounds and was mounted on a concrete base.”
The photograph found in this collection was also printed next to the article, under the heading, “Chi Epsilon Mounts Key.” The photograph caption reads, “Members of Chi Epsilon, honorary civil engineering fraternity, completed the erection of a key in front of the CE Building this week. Present for the mounting ceremonies were, front row, left to right, Caldwell Englund, Bruce Parsons, James Paul [Paulk], Avery Ingram, Homer Hurd, and Farris Gibbs. Standing are Frank Smith, Professor Jennings, Hal Furman, Dave Tudeen, Homer Flippen, T.H. Evans, head of the CE department, Bill Robinson, J.R. [sic] Henika, who designed the key, and Joe Foy.” All of the students appearing in this photograph graduated in late 1945-1946.
Frank Joseph Smith, Jr. graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1946 with a degree in Civil Engineering. Smith, a member of the Georgia Tech chapter of Chi Epsilon, was one of the students who helped create the Chi Epsilon key monument that now stands in front of the Mason Building. Smith later founded Frank Smith Builder, an engineering firm working in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware.
Chi Epsilon, the national civil engineering honor society, was founded at the University of Illinois in 1922. The Georgia Tech chapter of Chi Epsilon was chartered on 31 January 1943 by 15 civil engineering students. Junior and senior civil engineering students (or those in a closely related curriculum) in the top one-third of their classes are eligible for admission. Figures from 2006 show the Georgia Tech chapter had approximately 80 active students and 1800 alumni.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Accession #1987.0702. This photograph came to the Archives via the Georgia Tech Alumni Association.
Mandi D. Johnson processed this photograph in July 2008.
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository