Skip to main content

Luther M. Reeves, Jr. photographs

 Collection
Identifier: VAM322

  • Staff Only

Abstract

The photographs in this collection are possibly related to Reeves' professional projects as an electrical engineer from the late 1960s to the early 1980s.

Dates

  • undated

Creator

General Physical Description note

(12 photographs)

Restrictions: Access

None.

Restrictions: Use

Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.

Extent

0.2 Linear Feet

Scope and Contents

This collection contains photographs of unidentified equipment.

Biography/Administrative History of Luther M. Reeves, Jr.

Luther Monroe ("Dutch") Reeves, Jr. (1908-1998) graduated from the Georgia School of Technology in 1928 with a degree in Electrical Engineering. After working as an electrical engineer for the McLendon Electric Company and Bracewell and Alderman during the 1940s and 1950s, he began his own electrical consulting firm. He was involved in projects for several Georgia architects and provided the electrical work for several church, school and university projects, including buildings at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

Reeves, the son of Carrie L. and Luther Reeves, Sr., was born in 1908 in Woodstock, Georgia. He entered Georgia Tech in 1924 and graduated after four years, remaining at Tech for two further years as a graduate assistant in the Engineering Department. After leaving Tech, Reeves was eventually employed by the Home Owners Loan Corporation from 1938-1942 and the Federal Public Housing Authority from 1943-1947. He worked for the McLendon Electric Company from 1947 to 1950, and later joined the firm of Bracewell and Alderman as an Associate Electrical Engineer. He remained there until sometime after 1953.

At some time during the mid 1950s, Reeves founded his own electrical consulting firm. His work in the firm continued until his retirement in 1978. Reeves took on many projects throughout Georgia for architectural firms such as John W. Cherry and Clement J. Ford; public schools and universities, including Kennesaw Junior College (later Kennesaw State University) and the University of Georgia; and the First Baptist Church of Atlanta, where he served as Deacon for more than twenty-five years. He also provided the electrical work on several buildings at his alma mater (serving as the consultant for the architectural firm of Finch, Alexander, Barnes, Rothschild and Paschal), including the Chemical Engineering and Ceramic Buildings, the Chemistry Building, and the Student Center.

Reeves was a Registered Professional Engineer in Georgia and Alabama, as well as a member of the National and Georgia Society of the Professional Engineers and the Illuminating Engineering Society. He was a member of the First Baptist Church for 54 years; for the last seven years of his life he was a member of the Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church and the Triple E Sunday School Class. He married Maxine Dendry of Petrey Alabama, and they had three daughters, Charlotte, Marilyn and Janice.

Luther "Dutch" Reeves died on June 11, 1998.

Other Finding Aids

A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.

Provenance

Donation, April 2000 (accession #2000.044).

Related Materials

The papers and drawings in this collection will be processed separately as MS322 and VAMD322, respectively. A drafting set and some small General Electric calculators have been removed to artifacts. Several Georgia Tech publications have also been removed and cataloged.

General Physical Description note

(12 photographs)

Processing Information

Jody Lloyd Thompson processed these photographs in October 2007.
Title
Inventory of the Luther M. Reeves, Jr. Photographs, undated
Subtitle
VAM322
Status
Completed
Author
Jody Lloyd Thompson
Date
Copyright October 2007.
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository

Contact:
Library
Georgia Institute of Technology
266 4th Street, NW
Atlanta 30332-0900 USA
404-894-4586