The drawings in this collection are related to Reeves' professional projects as an electrical engineer from the 1960s to the early 1980s. The drawings are, for the most part, electrical plans for private residences, schools, college buildings, and other public buildings in the state of Georgia.
(four flat file drawers)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
5.76 Cubic Feet
The drawings in this collection relate to Reeves' professional work as an electrical engineer in the state of Georgia. The drawings document Reeves' professional work with architectural firms in Georgia; his involvement with several construction projects at schools and universities, particularly Georgia Institute of Technology, Kennesaw Junior College (now known as Kennesaw State University), West Georgia College (now known as the University of West Georgia), and the University of Georgia; his electrical work for his church, First Baptist Church of Atlanta; and his residential projects.
Luther Monroe ("Dutch") Reeves, Jr. (1908-1998) graduated from the Georgia School of Technology in 1928 with a degree in Electrical Engineering. After working as an electrical engineer for the McLendon Electric Company and Bracewell and Alderman during the 1940s and 1950s, he began his own electrical consulting firm. He was involved in projects for several Georgia architects and provided the electrical work for several church, school and university projects, including buildings at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
Reeves, the son of Carrie L. and Luther Reeves, Sr., was born in 1908 in Woodstock, Georgia. He entered Georgia Tech in 1924 and graduated after four years, remaining at Tech for two further years as a graduate assistant in the Engineering Department. After leaving Tech, Reeves was eventually employed by the Home Owners Loan Corporation from 1938-1942 and the Federal Public Housing Authority from 1943-1947. He worked for the McLendon Electric Company from 1947 to 1950, and later joined the firm of Bracewell and Alderman as an Associate Electrical Engineer. He remained there until sometime after 1953.
At some time during the mid 1950s, Reeves founded his own electrical consulting firm. His work in the firm continued until his retirement in 1978. Reeves took on many projects throughout Georgia for architectural firms such as John W. Cherry and Clement J. Ford; public schools and universities, including Kennesaw Junior College (later Kennesaw State University) and the University of Georgia; and the First Baptist Church of Atlanta, where he served as Deacon for more than twenty-five years. He also provided the electrical work on several buildings at his alma mater (serving as the consultant for the architectural firm of Finch, Alexander, Barnes, Rothschild and Paschal), including the Chemical Engineering and Ceramic Buildings, the Chemistry Building, and the Student Center.
Reeves was a Registered Professional Engineer in Georgia and Alabama, as well as a member of the National and Georgia Society of the Professional Engineers and the Illuminating Engineering Society. He was a member of the First Baptist Church for 54 years; for the last seven years of his life he was a member of the Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church and the Triple E Sunday School Class. He married Maxine Dendry of Petrey Alabama, and they had three daughters, Charlotte, Marilyn and Janice.
Luther "Dutch" Reeves died on June 11, 1998.
The drawings are listed alphabetically, by building name.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Donation, April 2000 (accession #2000.044).
The photographs and manuscripts in this collection have been processed separately as VAM322 and MS322, respectively. A drafting set and some small General Electric calculators have been removed to artifacts. Several Georgia Tech publications have also been removed and cataloged.
(four flat file drawers)
Arhant Durlabhji and Christine de Catanzaro processed these papers in October 2007.
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository