Skip to main content

Facilities Department Photographs and Slides

 Collection
Identifier: VAUA316

  • Staff Only

Abstract

This collection consists of photographs and slides documenting the design, construction, and renovation of numerous buildings and other construction projects on the campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology.

Dates

  • ca. 1912-2007

Creator

General Physical Description note

(8 document cases and 2 half-size document cases)

Restrictions: Access

None.

Restrictions: Use

All copyright restrictions under the laws of the United States Copyright must be obeyed. All images in this collection are subject to approval before publication may be permitted. Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.

Extent

3.4 Linear Feet

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of photographs and slides documenting the design, construction, and renovation of numerous buildings and other construction projects on the campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology. Chronologically, the bulk of the collection begins with the campus expansion in the years following World War II. Prominent among these projects is the Bond Issue Project, a large postwar campus expansion project funded by self-liquidating revenue bonds that supported the construction of dormitories and apartments for unmarried and married students, and a new Textile Building. There are some images of buildings in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The next major period of construction, pre-1996 Olympics, is well documented in this collection.

Administrative History of the Facilities Department

The Facilities Department at the Georgia Institute of Technology is composed of four departments: Design and Construction, Finance, Information Technology, and Operations and Maintenance. Facilities is headed by the Associate Vice-President for Facilities.

The Design and Construction Department manages design and construction and contracting for renovation and capital projects on the campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology. Prior to its current organization, the Design and Construction Department had a variety of names and reporting lines. During the 1950s the department was known as the Planning and Construction Department. Some time during the 1960s the department came under Facilities, which gradually incorporated functions such as plant operations, environmental safety, custodial, maintenance, and utilities as well as construction. In the first decade of the twenty-first century, the information technology department was also added.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged into eight series: Academic/Administration/Campus Services; Athletic Facilities; General Campus; Housing and Dining Halls; Olympics; Student Organization Buildings; Other; and Negatives. Buildings and locations are arranged alphabetically within each series.

Location note

29D5

Other Finding Aids

A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.

Provenance

Donated to the Archives in August 2004 (accession number 2004.072). Addenda donated April 2007 (#2007.038), October 2007 (#2007.093), and March 2008 (#2008.008).

Accruals

This collection may receive additional accessions in the future. These materials will be added to the collection and this finding aid updated as needed.

Separated Material

The architectural drawings in this collection have been separated and processed as the Facilities Department (Georgia Institute of Technology) Drawings (VUAD316). The records also have been processed separately (UA316).

General Physical Description note

(8 document cases and 2 half-size document cases)

Processing Information

Jody Thompson processed these photographs in June 2007. Addenda processed by Mandi D. Johnson in August 2008.
Title
Inventory of the Facilities Department (Georgia Institute of Technology) Photographs and Slides, ca. 1912-2007
Subtitle
VAUA316
Status
Completed
Author
Jody Thompson
Date
Copyright August 2008.
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository

Contact:
Library
Georgia Institute of Technology
266 4th Street, NW
Atlanta 30332-0900 USA
404-894-4586