Skip to main content

Department of Mechanical Engineering Student Cards

 Collection
Identifier: UA055

  • Staff Only

Abstract

The cards in this collection contain names, addresses, and grade information on Georgia Tech students in various courses of study. Although the majority of student records are from Mechanical Engineering, the records of students in Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering are also included.

Dates

  • ca. 1919-ca. 1924

Creator

Restrictions: Access

None.

Restrictions: Use

Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.

Extent

1 Linear Feet

Scope and Contents

At the request of the Tech Registrar, H. H. Caldwell, academic departments were required to keep student cards containing personal information on students. The cards in this collection contain names, addresses, and grade information on students in various courses of study. Although the majority of student records are from Mechanical Engineering, the records of students in Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering and other courses of study are also included.

History of the George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering

Georgia Tech graduated its first two students, with bachelor's degrees in mechanical engineering, in 1890. The first MSME was authorized in 1922, and a doctoral program was added in 1946. The first MS degrees were awarded in 1925, and the first Ph.D.'s were granted in 1950. Georgia Tech was renamed the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1948. Women were admitted in 1952, and the campus was voluntarily integrated in 1962. In 1949, the Department of Mechanical Engineering officially became the School of Mechanical Engineering with its own director and administrative staff. In 1985 the School was named for its benefactor, distinguished Atlanta business and civic leader, the late George W. Woodruff (class of 1917).

As of 2010, the Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering was the oldest and second largest of the ten divisions in the College of Engineering at Georgia Tech. Enrollment includes 1675 undergraduate students and almost 700 graduate students. In 2010, the School offered programs in mechanical engineering, nuclear and radiological engineering, medical physics, paper science and engineering, and bioengineering. Nine degrees were offered: Two in undergraduate studies (BSME and BSNRE) and seven in graduate studies (MS, MSME, MSNE, MSMP, MSPS, MSBIOE, and the Ph.D.).

In 2010, sample courses of instruction in mechanical engineering included: Engineering graphics, mechanics, computing techniques, creative decisions and design, systems dynamics and control, dynamics of rigid bodies, circuits and electronics, engineering materials, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, mechanics of materials, experimental methods, heat transfer, machine design, systems lab, energy systems, manufacturing processes, experimental engineering, and capstone design.

Source: Quoted from The George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering website.

Provenance

The George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering donated these student cards in June 1995 (Accession #1999.0604; old accession #99-06-04).

Processing Information

Christine de Catanzaro encoded this collection summary in March 2006.
Title
Department of Mechanical Engineering (Georgia School of Technology) Student Cards: Collection Summary, ca. 1919-ca. 1924
Subtitle
UA055
Status
Completed
Author
Christine de Catanzaro
Date
Copyright 2006.
Description rules
finding aid updated using rlg best practice guidelines for encoded archival description.
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository

Contact:
Library
Georgia Institute of Technology
266 4th Street, NW
Atlanta 30332-0900 USA
404-894-4586