The Marionettes of Georgia Tech, named in 1915 after a two year existence on campus, became one of the student body's, and the city of Atlanta's, most popular dramatic organizations. This collection is comprised of programs from the early 1920s and a yearbook photo page from the 1919 Blueprint.
(one archival folder)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.05 Linear Feet
The Marionettes Programs include two programs from the 1920 production of three one-act plays: "The Florist Shop," "Helena's Husband," and "The Rising of the Moon," and one program from the 1923 production of "Polly with a Past." There is also a copy of the officers' photograph published in the 1919 Blueprint yearbook.
Dramatics at Georgia Tech has a deep-rooted history dating back to the inception in 1913 of a Drama Club, whose first show was "Brown of Harvard." Named in 1915, the club was quite popular on campus, and by the 1920s, rivaled the football team for the attention of the student body. Their performances were taken on the road to most of the neighboring states and farther beyond, gathering critical acclaim. The Marionettes often performed at the Atlanta Women's Club Auditorium, though productions were never held on campus. Performances were often sold out, with the audience comprised of everyone from Tech students to Atlanta high society. Following medieval and renaissance tradition, male students executed the female roles. Eventually Agnes Scott students performed in conjunction with the Marionettes, but not until the 1934 production of "Lord Babs." Disappearing for a while during the early Depression years, the Marionettes returned for a few more years, presenting seven more productions before their demise after the spring 1937 production of "Wharf Street." Nine years later, drama was reintroduced to Tech, with the founding in 1946 of DramaTech.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
These items were transferred from the Vertical File (donor information unknown). Accession #2002.050.
(one archival folder)
Natalie C. Woods processed these papers in 2002.