Skip to main content

Engineering Extension Division Catalogue/Announcements (Georgia Institute of Technology)

 Collection
Identifier: UP020

  • Staff Only

Abstract

The Evening School at Georgia Tech began in March 1908 in response to demand for night school for men who were employed during the day. The Archives holds catalogs for the Evening School from 1908 to 1964. The Evening School of Applied Science catalogs from the 1920s through the early 1940s provide general information regarding admission, fees, and academic calendars; a list of faculty and instructors; a description of courses; and a register of students. Later volumes also include a mail-in registration form. The post-war issues (those of the Engineering Extension Division) follow a similar format, but they include description of industrial education classes taught through the Extension Division and located in various parts of the state of Georgia.

Dates

  • 1908-1964 (bulk dates 1925-1964)
  • Majority of material found within 1925 - 1964

Creator

General Physical Description note

(5 bound volumes)

Restrictions: Access

None.

Restrictions: Use

Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.

Extent

1 Linear Feet

Scope and Contents

The Georgia Tech Archives holds a catalog for night classes dating from 1908. This catalog is located in the Bulletin of the Georgia Institute of Technology collection - UP019. The next catalog dedicated to the Evening School dates from 1925; it is also found in the UP019 collection. The printed Evening School of Applied Science catalogs dating from 1926 through 1943, as well as the Engineering Extension Division catalogs from 1946 to 1954 are bound together in volumes in this collection, UP020. There is a gap in coverage between 1943 and 1946, presumably because of World War II. Later volumes -- nine issues dating from 1955 through about 1963 -- are located in the bound volumes of UP019. All issues in the Archives are listed in the Container List for this collection (see below). All these catalogs were printed as issues of the Bulletin of the Georgia School/Institute of Technology.

The catalogs for the Evening School of Applied Science (1925-1942) follow a more-or-less standard format in terms of content. The catalogs provide general information regarding admission, fees, and academic calendars; a list of faculty and instructors; a description of courses; and a register of students. Later volumes also include a mail-in registration form. The post-war issues (those of the Engineering Extension Division) follow a similar format, but they include description of industrial education classes taught through the Extension Division and located in various parts of the state of Georgia.

History of the Evening School of Applied Science/Engineering Extension Division at Georgia Tech

The Evening School at Georgia Tech began in March 1908 in response to demand for night school for men who were employed during the day. At first confining itself to elementary, practical courses, the evening offerings continually expanded through the years. The school established itself as the Evening School of Applied Science by the 1920s. During this period the school offered practical classes in architecture, automobile, chemical, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering, leading to two-year certificates. After World War II, the evening school became known as the Engineering Extension Division, administering both evening and extension courses on- and off-campus, and offering three-year certificate courses. By the early 1960s, the Division was working in conjunction with the Southern Technical Institute (later Southern Polytechnic State University) in Marietta, Georgia, to offer Associate degrees in Engineering on a full- or part-time basis. The program continued until at least the 1963-1964 academic year, after which the evening and extension programs may have been taken over by Southern Technical Institute.

Arrangement

This publication is bound into a set of chronological volumes, each of which contain several issues. The binding appears to have been done by the Georgia Tech Library.

Other Finding Aids

A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.

Provenance

The immediate provenance of these volumes is unknown. Accession #2011.065.

General Physical Description note

(5 bound volumes)

Note:

These catalogs/announcements have been cataloged by the Georgia Tech Library under two separate call numbers. The Evening School of Applied Science Catalogs and Announcements (those dating from 1926 through 1943) have been cataloged as T171 .G42 G414X. The 1946-1947 issue (titled Evening School Courses: Information 1946-1947) is cataloged as T171 .G42 G413X. This latter call number is also assigned to the Engineering Extension Division Announcements (1947-1955). Issues missing from these cataloged publications may be found in the Bulletin of the Georgia Institute of Technology publication (see the finding aid for UP019, or the catalog record for T171 .G42 G47X). The issues found in this publication are also referenced in the Container List in this collection description.

Processing Information

Christine de Catanzaro processed these publications in August 2011.
Title
Inventory of the Engineering Extension Division Catalogue/Announcements, 1908-1964 (bulk dates 1925-1964)
Status
Completed
Author
Christine de Catanzaro
Date
Copyright August 2011.
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository

Contact:
Library
Georgia Institute of Technology
266 4th Street, NW
Atlanta 30332-0900 USA
404-894-4586