Skip to main content

Facilities Department records

 Collection
Identifier: UA316

  • Staff Only

Abstract

This collection consists of paper records documenting the design and construction of numerous building projects on the campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology.

Dates

  • 1945-2002 (bulk 1946-1960)
  • Majority of material found within 1946 - 1960

Creator

General Physical Description note

(65 document cases)

Restrictions: Access

None.

Restrictions: Use

Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.

Extent

26 Linear Feet

Scope and Contents

The majority of this collection consists of the paper records generated during various building projects on the campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology, mainly during the campus expansion in the years following World War II. Prominent among these projects is the Bond Issue Project, a large postwar campus expansion project funded by self-liquidating revenue bonds that supported the construction of dormitories and apartments for unmarried and married students, and a new Textile Building. Other projects covered in this collection include the Infirmary, Physical Plant, Radioisotopes Laboratory, Student Center and Civil Engineering Building (1950s-1960s); the Aquatic Center (early 1990s), which was built for the 1996 Olympics held in Atlanta and later remodeled; as well as other buildings, mainly constructed during the fifteen years following World War II. Historic structure reports provide detailed historical, architectural, and other background information on several historic buildings on campus, including the Brittain Dining Hall, the Coon Building, the President's Home, and the Smith Building.

Administrative History of the Facilities Department

The Facilities Department at the Georgia Institute of Technology is itself made up of four departments: Design and Construction, Finance, IT, and Operations and Maintenance. The Design and Construction Department manages design and construction and contracting for renovation and capital projects on the campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology. Facilities is headed by the Associate Vice-President for Facilities.

Prior to its current organization, the Design and Construction Department had a variety of names and reporting lines. During the 1950s the department was known as the Planning and Construction Department. Some time during the 1960s the department came under Facilities, which gradually incorporated functions such as plant operations, environmental safety, custodial, maintenance, and utilities as well as construction. In the first decade of the twenty-first century, the information technology department was also added.

Arrangement

This collection is made up of three series:

Missing Title

  1. Series 1. Campus Building Projects
  2. Series 2. Georgia Tech Publications
  3. Series 3. Historic Structure Reports

Other Finding Aids

A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.

Provenance

Donated to the Archives in August 2004 (accession number 2004.072). Additional donations in 2007 (2007.038, 2007.093).

Accruals

Historic structure reports (Series 3) added in February and March 2008 (2007.038, 2007.093, 2008.008).

Separated Material

The architectural drawings in this collection have been separated and processed as the Facilities Department (Georgia Institute of Technology) Drawings (VUAD316). The photographs have also been separated (VAUA316).

General Physical Description note

(65 document cases)

Processing Information

Sheldon Smith and Christine de Catanzaro processed these records in April 2007.
Title
Inventory of the Facilities Department (Georgia Institute of Technology) Records, 1945-2002 (bulk 1946-1960)
Subtitle
UA316
Status
Completed
Author
Sheldon Smith, Christine de Catanzaro
Date
Copyright April 2007.
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository

Contact:
Library
Georgia Institute of Technology
266 4th Street, NW
Atlanta 30332-0900 USA
404-894-4586