The Peter Pund Collection consists of a poster of Henry Rudolph "Peter" Pund, a student and football player at Georgia Tech who graduated with a degree in Textile Engineering in 1929. The poster commemorates Pund's induction into the Georgia Athletic Hall of Fame in 1977.
(one oversize poster)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
2 Linear Feet
This collection contains one black-and-white poster with a 1928 photograph of a determined-looking Peter Pund preparing to snap a football to the quarterback. The poster proclaims Pund's membership in the Georgia Athletic Hall of Fame. The caption on the photograph states "Center H.R. (Peter) Pund: Georgia Tech All-America 1928." Pund was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1977, and this poster was presented to him to commemorate the achievement.
Henry Rudolph “Peter” Pund was born in Augusta, Georgia on January 27, 1907 and enrolled at the Georgia School of Technology (Georgia Tech) in 1925.
Pund was the starting center on the football team for three seasons, 1926-1928, and he was the captain of the National Championship squad of 1928, coached by William Alexander. The team beat the University of California Golden Bears by a score of 8-7 on January 1, 1929, to clinch the Rose Bowl title. He was also a member of the 1927 All-Southern Conference team and was a consensus All-American in 1928.
Pund graduated from Georgia Tech in 1929 with a degree in Textile Engineering. Along with playing on the football team, he was a brother of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity, Phi Kappa Phi honor society, Tau Beta Pi Engineering honor society, Phi Psi Textile honor society, Cotillion Club, Bull Dogs, Student Council, Honor Roll. He also served as vice-president of the senior class in 1928-1929.
Pund was inducted into the Georgia Tech Hall of Fame in 1958, the College Football Hall of Fame in 1963, and the Georgia Athletic Hall of Fame in 1977. He died in Darien, Connecticut at the age of 80 on October 17, 1987.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Donation, 1997 (accession no. 1997.1001).
Artifacts, including plaques and memorabilia, have been removed to the artifacts collection.
(one oversize poster)
Christine de Catanzaro and Lindsay Resnick processed this collection in April 2013.