This 32-page report describes training and research programs undertaken at Georgia Tech during World War II.
(one archival folder)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.1 Linear Feet
This 1944 report documents very well Georgia Tech's contributions to World War II. In its 32 pages, the report covers the teaching program, including the Army Specialized Training Program and the Naval R.O.T.C. and V-12 training that was being carried out on campus at that time, as well as programs taught through the Evening School of Applied Science, including W.E.N.D, E.S.M.W.T., and civilian pilot training. The author also discusses civilian students, particularly the effect of the war on enrollment, and curriculum changes, especially the accelerated program undertaken in February 1942. In addition, Griffin mentions the additional teaching burden experienced by the faculty and the stress on the campus' existing buildings during wartime.
Griffin goes on to write about the variety of research programs that Georgia Tech undertook during World War II. Projects the author covers include the development of a helicopter, work for the Tennessee Valley Authority on manufacturing efficient fuel converters, programs to address shortages such as magnesium and graphite, and development of new textiles. Griffin also discusses Tech's role as a consultant for industry and government. The report mentions briefly post-war planning, particularly the education of former servicemen.
John A. Griffin (1912-1997), an educator, labor arbitrator, and civil rights activist, served on the faculty at Georgia Tech during the late 1930s and early 1940s. From 1944 to 1959, he worked at Emory University as a special assistant to the President, Associate Professor of Sociology, and founder of the Evening at Emory continuing education program.
John Ansley Griffin was born in Monroe, Georgia, on July 3, 1912 to parents William Hull Griffin and Belle B. Griffin. He was educated at Emory University, receiving undergraduate and master's degrees there. He received his doctoral degree in sociology and agricultural economics from the University of Wisconsin. After a brief period at Georgia Tech, Griffin began a 15-year career at Emory, where he worked with the Ford Foundation on a study of segregated Southern schools, leading to the publication of journalist Harry Ashmore's The Negro and the Schools. This publication is said to have been influential in the 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education decision. Griffin helped found the Southern Regional Council in 1944, an organization dedicated to bringing blacks and whites together. He also wrote on the subject of education in the South in the 1955 Public Education in the South Today and Tomorrow.
Throughout his life, Griffin was active in the civil rights movement, serving for part of the decades of the 1950s and 1960s as Associate Director for Conciliation with the United States Community Relations Service. He also held the position of Executive Director of the Southern Education Foundation from 1965 to 1978.
Griffin was married twice. He and his first wife, Wallace Lillard Lyons (d. 1960), had four children. In 1968, he married the former Anne Ryland Ricks (1926-2000). Griffin died in Atlanta on January 25, 1997.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
This typescript was originally bound, cataloged with the number T171 .G44 G73X, and housed in the Archives and the Library as a publication. In 2012, the decision was made to remove the two copies of the typescript from the cataloged books, and to reprocess the typescripts as an archival collection. The second copy of the typescript could not be located in December 2012.
Acquired as a cataloged item; accession number 2012.091.
(one archival folder)
Christine de Catanzaro processed this collection in December 2012.
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository