These annual reports contain a section written by the Dean followed by reports from each of the Schools in the College, in which subjects such as faculty changes, student enrollment, accomplishments, and challenges are discussed, with details specific to each School.
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
1.3 Linear Feet
Each annual report in this collection generally contains an opening narrative by the Dean, in which subjects such as faculty changes, student enrollment, statistics on degrees conferred, accomplishments, and challenges and problem areas are covered. The opening narrative is missing from the 1964-1965 and 1965-1966 annual reports, the interim period between Mason's and Hansen's tenures as Dean. Following the Dean's section are reports from each of the Schools in the College, in which many of the same topics are discussed, with details specific to each School. A list of papers presented at meetings, as well as a list of publications and articles and a record of faculty professional activities is appended to the narrative. A list of gifts is sometimes also included at the end.
These annual reports only cover the 1961-1962 through the 1973-1974 academic years. There is no volume for the 1970-1971 academic year.
At the time of writing (January 2013), the College of Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology includes eight engineering schools: Aerospace Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. Prior to 1975, the School of Architecture was also included; now, Architecture is a separate college. During the time period that the Southern Technical Institute operated under the aegis of Georgia Tech, the Institute also came under the College of Engineering. The Dean of the College of Engineering is currently responsible for the administration of all engineering programs as well as two outreach campuses, one in Savannah and one in Metz, France.
The first time a Dean of Engineering is mentioned in the list of administrative personnel at Georgia Tech is in the April 1935 Georgia Tech catalog. Prior to 1935 each engineering department was apparently administered separately; each department had its own Head. The person listed in the position in 1935 was Domenico Pietro Savant (1885-1968), who was formerly a professor of Electrical Engineering at Tech. Cherry L. Emerson succeeded Savant as Dean of Engineering in 1945, but he was soon to be replaced by Jesse W. Mason in September 1948. Mason continued in the position until 1965, when he was removed from the deanship by President Harrison, amid some controversy.
After a brief period during which Robert E. Steimke served as Acting Dean, Arthur G. Hansen took over for about three years (1966-1969). When Hansen was appointed President of Tech in 1969, Walter O. Carlson served as Acting Dean until Thomas E. Stelson became the Dean of Engineering. Stelson served until 1974, when he became Tech’s Vice President for Research.
Stelson’s successor, William M. Sangster, remained as Dean of Engineering from 1974 until 1990. John A. White followed Sangster, staying in the office from 1991 to 1995. During the late 1990s, Jean-Lou Chameau, previously Director of the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, served as Dean. After Chameau was appointed Provost in 2001, Don P. Giddens took over, holding the position until his retirement in 2011. Gary S. May, previously Professor and Chair of Electrical and Computer Engineering, succeeded Giddens in 2011.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
This is a collection that has been created by the Georgia Tech Archives. The immediate provenance of the reports is unknown, although they were likely to have been deposited in the Archives by the administration at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Accession number 2013.002.
These reports have been cataloged and assigned the call number T171 .G42 G451X.
Christine de Catanzaro processed these publications in January 2013.