This bound volume contains minutes of the Night School Committee, a four-page pamphlet on the history of the Engineering Evening School, and correspondence, faculty rolls, and some financial information.
(one half-size document case)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.2 Linear Feet
This bound volume contains mainly the Night School Committee's minutes for the 1923-1924 through the 1940-1941 academic years. During this period, discussions noted in the minutes centered on ways to build and retain enrollment, including advertising campaigns; faculty rules, regulations, and salaries; the addition of specific classes to serve various trade groups; and general enrollment issues.
Several other items are also bound into this volume. At the beginning is a four-page pamphlet on the history of the Engineering Evening School from 1908 to 1958. Correspondence to and from evening school professors is sometimes included, particularly in the early years; faculty rolls are also occasionally bound into the volume, as are class lists, information sheets, financial statements, and lists of students to whom certificates were granted.
The Evening School at Georgia Tech began in March 1908 in response to demand for night school for men who were employed during the day. At first confining itself to elementary, practical courses, the evening offerings continually expanded through the years. The school was known as the Georgia Tech Night School until after World War I; the school established itself as the Evening School of Applied Science by the 1920s. During this period the school offered practical classes in architecture, automobile, chemical, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering, leading to two-year certificates. Women began to be admitted to the Evening School in 1932.
After World War II, the evening school became known as the Engineering Extension Division, administering both evening and extension courses on- and off-campus, and offering three-year certificate courses. By the early 1960s, the Division was working in conjunction with the Southern Technical Institute (later Southern Polytechnic State University) in Marietta, Georgia, to offer Associate degrees in Engineering on a full- or part-time basis. The program continued until at least the 1963-1964 academic year, after which the evening and extension programs may have been taken over by Southern Technical Institute.
Early directors of the School (with dates they served) include: J. N. G. Nesbit (1908-1917); A. B. Morton (1917-1923); and Roger S. (Roger Sheppard) Howell (1923-1959).
Source: "Engineering Evening School 1908-1958" by R. S. Howell, Director - Engineering Extension Division.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
The immediate provenance of this volume is unknown, although it was likely to have been deposited in the Archives by the administration at the Georgia Institute of Technology and bound by the Library. The notation on the inside endpaper of the volume indicates that it was a gift given in November 1966. (This volume was previously cataloged as T171 .G54x. It has been removed from this call number and assigned UA443 as its identification number.) Accession number 2011.035.
(one half-size document case)
Christine de Catanzaro processed these publications in January 2013.