This collection contains a single volume of outgoing correspondence, grades, class standings, examination schedules and other notes, kept by the Secretary of the Faculty, Thomas Pettus Branch, from 1898 to 1905.
(one oversize box)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
1.5 Linear Feet
This collection contains a single volume of outgoing correspondence, grades, class standings, examination schedules and other notes, kept by the Secretary of the Faculty, Thomas Pettus Branch, from 1898 to 1905. The correspondence includes general business correspondence of Georgia Tech as well as letters to students and their parents. Information on students also includes lists of students deficient in various subjects.
Thomas Pettus Branch served on the Georgia Tech faculty as a professor of mathematics beginning in 1895. In 1902 he also became acting professor of civil engineering. He assumed the role of Secretary of the Faculty soon after his arrival at Tech and continued in that role until his death. At the time of his death, which occurred on his fifty-ninth birthday (May 20, 1923), he also was head of the Department of Civil Engineering and Dean of the Cooperative Department.
Branch was born in 1864 in Tallahassee, Florida. After attending school in Florida, he went to Vanderbilt University, where he obtained a bachelor's degree in engineering. Before his arrival at Georgia Tech, Branch taught and worked as an engineer in Oregon, California, and Tennessee. His distinguished career at Tech lasted twenty-eight years.
Branch married twice. His first wife, Susie Pharr, died in 1907. In 1909 he married Pharr's sister, Mina Thweatt. He was survived by his second wife, two sons, and a daughter.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Immediate provenance unknown. Accession number 1991.0111.
(one oversize box)
The pages of this volume are fragile and require very careful handling.
Christine de Catanzaro processed these records in September 2008.
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository