This collection contains materials related to the John Smith Automobile Company and the Smith Family.
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection includes materials related to the John Smith Automobile Company, including an advertisment and a picture of the Smiths' dealership. It also includes a picture of the opening of Smith dormitory, a newspaper cartoon of John E. Smith, and one of John E. Smith's sketches from his time at Georgia Tech.
John M. Smith (1832-1913) started a small carriage shop in Atlanta in 1869, called the John Smith Company. He started selling cars and became a GM dealer in 1913. He contributed $100 to the founding of Georgia Tech. The John M. Smith dormitory, which opened in 1948, was named for him. John M. Smith’s son, John Edward Smith (1876-1956), received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Tech in 1895. He became president of his father’s company, and helped found the National Auto Dealers Association. In 1941 he donated a lot on 10th Street and Fowler, which became the site of the president’s house. John E. Smith’s son, Hal L. Smith (1904-2003), received a B.S. in Commerce from Georgia Tech in 1926. He was director of the C&S bank and American Southern Insurance Company. He was also president of the Georgia Automobile Dealers Association and chairman of the Atlanta branch of the Red Cross. In 1970 he received a Quality Dealer Award from TIME Magazine. Hal Smith was also a president of the Georgia Tech Foundation and established the John Smith Company fund at Georgia Tech. Hal Smith’s son, John E. Smith II, received a B.S. in Industrial Management from Georgia Tech in 1958.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Donation, 2013. Accession number 2013.053.
This collection was processed by Sarah Scott.