The Georgia Tech Sigma Xi Club was founded in 1946 and installed as a chapter of the national Society of the Sigma Xi in 1953. This honor society for science and engineering supports research, programs, and activiites. The records include correspondence, constitutions and by-laws, meeting minutes, and printed materials pertaining to the founding of the club and the research committee's activities.
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
1.6 Linear Feet
These records include correspondence, constitutions and by-laws, meeting minutes, and printed materials for both the Georgia Tech chapter and the national chapter.
Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society of North America, founded in 1886, is an organization dedicated to the encouragement of research in pure and applied sciences. The Sigma Xi Club was established at Georgia Tech on November 18, 1946 and a chapter on June 8, 1953. Each year since 1947, the group has honored Georgia Tech faculty and students for their research at the annual Research Awards Banquet.
Arranged into two series, the first of which is divided into two subseries:
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Sigma Xi donated these papers in 1985 and 1986 (Accession #1985.0803 and 1986.0704; old numbers: 85-08-03 and 86-07-04). Paul Weber also donated papers in 1986. (Accession #1986.0706; old number: 86-07-06).
All photographs have been separated and cataloged as Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society of North America, Georgia Institute of Technology Chapter photographs (VAM006). All films have been removed and stored in film area.
Jody Thompson processed these papers in 2002.
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository