The manuscript materials in this collection are mainly related to Reeves' professional projects as an electrical engineer from the late 1960s to the early 1980s. Also significant are an annotated manual of electrical engineering laboratory experiments from coursework at Georgia Tech and several annotated course manuals from continuing education classes Reeves completed, apparently during the 1930s.
(six document cases and Oversize)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
3.45 Linear Feet
The manuscript materials in this collection relate to two main areas of Reeves' life, his professional work as an electrical engineer and his early educational training, at Georgia Tech and in continuing education classes. The first series of this collection covers his educational and personal activities, including some documentation of his activity as a Tech alumnus. Significant in this small series are the annotated manuals from coursework at Georgia Tech and from the additional classes he took. The second series documents Reeves' professional work with architectural firms in Georgia; his involvement with several construction projects at universities, particularly Kennesaw Junior College, Georgia Tech, and the University of Georgia; and his electrical work for his church, First Baptist Church of Atlanta.
Luther Monroe ("Dutch") Reeves, Jr. (1908-1998) graduated from the Georgia School of Technology in 1928 with a degree in Electrical Engineering. After working as an electrical engineer for the McLendon Electric Company and Bracewell and Alderman during the 1940s and 1950s, he began his own electrical consulting firm. He was involved in projects for several Georgia architects and provided the electrical work for several church, school and university projects, including buildings at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
Reeves, the son of Carrie L. and Luther Reeves, Sr., was born in 1908 in Woodstock, Georgia. He entered Georgia Tech in 1924 and graduated after four years, remaining at Tech for two further years as a graduate assistant in the Engineering Department. After leaving Tech, Reeves was eventually employed by the Home Owners Loan Corporation from 1938-1942 and the Federal Public Housing Authority from 1943-1947. He worked for the McLendon Electric Company from 1947 to 1950, and later joined the firm of Bracewell and Alderman as an Associate Electrical Engineer. He remained there until sometime after 1953.
At some time during the mid 1950s, Reeves founded his own electrical consulting firm. His work in the firm continued until his retirement in 1978. Reeves took on many projects throughout Georgia for architectural firms such as John W. Cherry and Clement J. Ford; public schools and universities, including Kennesaw Junior College (later Kennesaw State University) and the University of Georgia; and the First Baptist Church of Atlanta, where he served as Deacon for more than twenty-five years. He also provided the electrical work on several buildings at his alma mater (serving as the consultant for the architectural firm of Finch, Alexander, Barnes, Rothschild and Paschal), including the Chemical Engineering and Ceramic Buildings, the Chemistry Building, and the Student Center.
Reeves was a Registered Professional Engineer in Georgia and Alabama, as well as a member of the National and Georgia Society of the Professional Engineers and the Illuminating Engineering Society. He was a member of the First Baptist Church for 54 years; for the last seven years of his life he was a member of the Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church and the Triple E Sunday School Class. He married Maxine Dendy of Petrey, Alabama, and they had three daughters: Charlotte, Marilyn, and Janice.
Luther "Dutch" Reeves died on June 11, 1998.
Arranged into two series:
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Donation, April 2000 (accession #2000.044).
The photographs and drawings in this collection have been removed and will be processed separately as VAM322 and VAMD322, respectively. A drafting set and some small General Electric calculators have been removed to artifacts. Several Georgia Tech publications have also been removed and cataloged.
(six document cases and Oversize)
Betty Story and Christine de Catanzaro processed these papers in July 2007.
Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository