This collection consists of black and white photographs (primarily 8 by 10 inches) that were used in The Research Engineer, a magazine produced by the Engineering Experiment Station from 1946 to 1964. The backs of the photographs contain notes, written in crayon and pencil, about how to prepare the pictures for publication.
(two document cases)
All copyright restrictions under the laws of the United States Copyright must be obeyed. All photographs in this collection are subject to approval before publication may be permitted. Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.8 Linear Feet
The photographs are black and white, with notes written on the back in crayon and pencil detailing how they should be prepared for publication. The condition of these materials is generally good, although a few of the photographs are stained or wrinkled.
The Engineering Experiment Station (EES) was approved by an act of the Georgia Legislature in 1919 and formally established in 1934. The purpose of this facility was to support Georgia’s economic, industrial, scientific, and technological development through advanced engineering research. It would also contribute to national research and development programs in fields such as military, emergency preparedness, and aerospace technology. On October 1, 1984, the name of the Engineering Experiment Station was changed to the Georgia Tech Research Institute to better illustrate the interdisciplinary nature of the facility’s work.
From 1946 to 1964, the Engineering Experiment Station published a magazine called The Research Engineer that detailed the research conducted at the institution. It was edited by the EES public relations officer Ben Weil. In June 1964, The Research Engineer ceased publication, and was continued by Tech Topics the following year.
The arrangement of photographs is generally chronological, by the volume and page number in which the photographs originally appeared in the publication.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Obtained in 1985 (accession 1985.1010).
(two document cases)
Note: Each photograph is housed in a separate folder. For each photograph, the number of the photograph (e.g. VAC300-001) is given first, followed by: the title of the image; the name, volume number and page of the publication in which the image appeared; and the date of the publication.
Leah Mickens processed these photographs in May 2006.