This collection contains images produced or collected by the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) from ca. 1934-1997. The images document the research, activities, and history of the organization. The majority of images in the collection are from the Engineering Experiment Station (EES) historical display at the fiftieth anniversary celebration or are images used in EES/GTRI publications.
(3 boxes, approximately 580 images)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
1.2 Linear Feet
The Georgia Tech Research Institute Visual Materials Collection contains images produced or collected by GTRI from ca. 1934-1997. The images document the research, activities, and history of the organization. The majority of images in the collection are from the EES historical display at the 50th Anniversary Celebration or are images used in EES/GTRI publications. Many of the historical display images and the research images have minimal, if any, identification. Most of the identifications for the photos from the historical display come from the winner of EES' "Name the Pictures Contest" held at the anniversary celebration. The winner was John Brown, a former EES employee, who is identified in several photos.
This collection contains images in a variety of formats, including photographs, contact sheets, slides, negatives, and oversized negatives. Most of the images are black and white; the few color images mainly relate to technology transfers between GTRI, Georgia Tech, the State of Georgia and NASA.
The Engineering Experiment Station (EES) was created by the General Assembly of Georgia in 1919 to develop natural resources, industries and commerce in Georgia. The original authorization act stated that the purpose of the EES was to conduct research in "any or all branches of engineering, manufacturing and the industries and the science related thereto." The EES did not become an active unit until 1934 due to an initial lack of funding.
Starting in 1946, EES began to receive federal funding and contracts which allowed it to experience an extended period of growth during the 1950-1960s. It was during this period that EES began to do research and development projects for the federal defense and space agencies. The EES also pioneered methodology in economic development which allowed it to open field offices throughout the state beginning in 1956. The field offices were tasked with supporting local development and providing technical assistance.
On 28 September 1984, EES held a 50th anniversary celebration. The event, a celebration of its history, also marked a transition. On 01 October 1984, the official name of the organization became the Georgia Tech Research Institute.
GRTI has had fourteen directors beginning with W. Harry Vaughn who served from 1934-1940. Donald Grace was the Director during the 50th Anniversary celebration and the transformation from EES to GTRI. The current director, as of August 2009, is Stephen Cross.
The collection arrived in a loose arrangement with many photos organized by subject; the six series in the collection follow this original order. A few new series were created to address the unorganized images.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Accession Numbers 2006.014, 2006.040, 2006.057, and 2006.063.
Manuscript materials will be arranged and described separately in Georgia Tech Research Institute Papers MS376.
(3 boxes, approximately 580 images)
Mallory Costen, Mallory Velten, and Mandi D. Johnson processed these visual materials in June-August 2009.