This collection consists of photographs of students using library computers.
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.3 Linear Feet
This collection consists of two photographs of students sitting at library computers and one image of the facade of the library building and Crosland Tower.
The Dean and Director of Libraries at the Georgia Institute of Technology supervises the operation of the Library and Information Center. Originally, the person who held the position had the title of Librarian; the title was changed in 1953 to Director of Libraries. The position reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at Georgia Tech.
The first library building on the Georgia Tech campus, the Carnegie Library, was constructed in 1906-1907. Laura Hammond served as Librarian during the building's construction, and continued as Librarian until her retirement in 1925. Following Hammond's retirement, Frances Newman took over the position for two years. Newman was succeeded by Dorothy M. Crosland, who served in the position from 1927 until her retirement in 1971.
Due to the growth in the number of books, technical journals, and rare items during the 1930s and 1940s through the collecting efforts of Dorothy Crosland, the need for a new library became critical. The new library, named for its chief donor, S. Price Gilbert, was dedicated on November 21, 1953. The graduate addition (later named the Crosland Tower in honor of Dorothy Crosland) was completed in 1969.
Edward Graham Roberts succeeded Crosland as Director of Libraries and served in the position until 1984. After Roberts' departure, Miriam A. Drake, formerly the Assistant Director for Library Support Services at Purdue University, assumed the position. Drake directed a period of rapid change, overseeing library automation, the implementation of full-text information systems, and the planning and implementation of Georgia Tech Electronic Library (GTEL).
Drake's initial work on digital libraries and multimedia development at the Georgia Tech Library was greatly expanded by her successor, Richard W. Meyer. Meyer, who took over as Dean and Director of Libraries following Drake's retirement in 2001, directed numerous innovations in the Library, including the establishment of the Digital Initiatives department, the foundation of Georgia Tech's institutional repository, and the remodelling of the Library East and West Commons on the ground floor of the library building.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Transfer to the Archives, 2006 (accession number 2006.191).
These photographs have been separated from the Dean and Director of Libraries Records (UA306).
Jody Thompson processed these photographs in July 2007.