The School of Chemistry Records include Annual Reports of the director of the Department (later School) of Chemistry, correspondence, two Annual Reports of the Dean of Graduate Courses, and a few departmental planning documents and reports.
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.25 Linear Feet
The School of Chemistry Records include Annual Reports of the director of the Department of Chemistry, correspondence, two Annual Reports of the Dean of Graduate Courses, and a few departmental planning documents and reports. The 1935-1936 Annual Report explains the reorganization of the department into Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Divisions.
Originally the Department of Chemistry, two of the department's earliest professors were Gilbert Hillhouse Boggs and William Henry Emerson. In about 1935 the department was reorganized into two divisions, Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.
According to the 2010 website of this school at Georgia Tech, the School of Chemistry and Biochemistry offers its students "a strong foundation in the traditional areas of chemistry." Faculty, staff, and students "participate in a range of dynamic and collaborative research programs, including initiatives in: Nanochemistry, Molecular Biophysics, Chemistry of Materials, and Theoretical and Computational Chemistry."
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Professor Leon Zalkow donated these records in April 1997. Accession #1998.0602 (old number: 98-06-02).
In an effort to provide broader access, this finding aid has not been fully expanded, but presented as a simple collection summary, without a box and folder list. Georgia Tech Archives and Records Management seeks to expand online access to this collection in the near future.
Christine de Catanzaro encoded this collection summary in March 2006.