The Library Book Shower was held on November 22, 1907 to raise funds and solicit book donations for the new Carnegie Library. The records include publicity, calling cards, invitation, and correspondence from invited guests.
(one archival folder)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.05 Linear Feet
The library book shower records include a press release, invitation, calling cards, list of donations, newsclippings, and correspondence from invited guests. Both the press release and the newsclippings provide excellent histories of the Georgia Tech library. The correspondence reveals the high regard many prominent Atlantans held for Georgia Tech and for the librarian herself. In addition to private individuals, donations came from the Pratt Institute, Harvard University, and the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.
The Georgia Tech library originated as a bookshelf in English Professor Kenneth G. Matheson's office, later growing to a one-room facility in the Administration Building (then called the Academic Building). The library's first appropriation in 1901 allowed for the hiring of a librarian, Madge Flynn. In May 1905, she was succeeded by Laura Hammond, who, assisted by her sister Julia Hammond, served as librarian until the early 1920s.
Dr. Matheson became president of Georgia Tech in 1906, determined that Tech should have a decent library. He secured a donation of $20,000 from Pittsburgh industrialist Andrew Carnegie for the construction of a new library. The Carnegie Library opened in September 1907.
After obtaining the new library, Hammond and Matheson turned their attention to augmenting its collection. On Friday evening, November 22, 1907, the library hosted a book shower, dedication, and reception, soliciting book and monetary donations, hoping to build a book collection worthy of the library's fine new building. Although the book shower received considerable publicity, inclement weather prevented many people from attending. Nonetheless, it could not be considered a failure, as donations continued to roll in months after the event.
The records are arranged chronologically.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
These records were removed from the vertical file (Accession #1997.0502; old #97-05-02).
(one archival folder)
Susan J. Illis processed these papers in 2000.