Little River Mill Collection
This collection contains a correspondence letter between the Little River Mill and the Universal Winding Company, alongside a history of the mill site produced by the Southeastern Archeological Services, Inc. in 1993.
- 1926 and 1993
- Johnston, Richard (Person)
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.15 Linear Feet
Scope and Contents
This collection includes material pertaining to the Little River Mill and mill site (9CK410) located on Little River, Cherokee County, Georgia. The prominent inclusion in the collection is a history of milling at the water-power site (the Little River site), which was produced by the Southeastern Archeological Services, Inc. in 1993. Alongside the history, there is a 1926 correspondence letter from the Universal Winding Company to the mill which indicates that the Universal Winding Company sent instructions for one of their machines to the mill and could be contacted with future inquiries regarding the machine.
Biographical / Historical
Located in Woodstock (Cherokee County), Georgia, the Little River Mill, as described by an archaeological report included in the collection, most likely began as a grist mill in the 1840s before transitioning and becoming a yarn mill in the 1870s. Textile milling continued at the site until 1949 when the mill closed due to the formation of Lake Allatoona. The mill focused its later productions on cotton rope manufacturing. From the turn of the 20th century until its closing, the mill was known as the Little River Mill or the Dorn Rope Mill and then lastly, as Cherokee Cotton Mill. The mill site is currently on the backwaters of Lake Allatoona and is part of the Olde Rope Mill Park, a city park of Woodstock.
This collection was donated to the Georgia Tech Archives in 2007, accession #2007.012.
The associated visual materials are listed as collection VAM201, and include a number of blue prints and schematics associated with the mill site's machinery.
Taylor Prichard and Mandi D. Johnson processed this collection in February 2014.
- Inventory of the Little River Mill Collection, 1926 and 1993
- Mandi D. Johnson
- Copyright February 2014.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Finding aid is written in English.