Dr. Homer S. Weber was a student and a faculty member of the Mechanical Engineering Department. These papers document his entire scholastic career at Georgia Tech.
(one half-sized document case).
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
0.2 Linear Feet
Encompassing nearly his entire academic career at Georgia Tech, the Homer S. Weber papers include correspondence, newspaper clippings, and a grade report from the term ending June 1920, indicating that Dr. Weber was an above average student. The second folder contains a nomination card for membership into the honor fraternity, Phi Kappa Phi, listing the date, place and time for the initiation of new members.
The letters in the collection date from the time Dr. Weber first became an instructor at Georgia Tech in 1925. Several letters that range from 1933 to 1941 chart his progress as a graduate student at the University of Michigan and Stanford University. His advisor was Dr. Stephen Timoshenko, a world famous expert in the field of applied mechanics. An exchange in the early months of 1942 details the request of the Navy Department for Dr. Weber to serve in the Engineering Branch during World War II. He turned down the offer. The rest of the correspondence is mostly written when Dr. Weber was the Head of the Mechanical Engineering Department. The final letter includes a set of notes taken during an interview with Dr. Weber for the book, Engineering the New South.
The photocopies of newspaper clippings in the fourth folder announce his appointments as the Head of the Mechanical Engineering Department and as a member of the Tau Beta Pi fraternity. Other articles focus on the history of the M. E. Department and personal interviews with Dr. Weber. The two memos in the last folder deal with the purpose and organizational structure of the Mechanical Engineering Department as it relates to the school.
Dr. Homer Squire Weber was born in East Lake, Tennessee on February 24, 1898. He began his career at Georgia Tech as a student in 1920. After earning his B. S. in Mechanical Engineering in 1924, he remained at Tech, completing work on his master's degree in 1930.
He began teaching at Georgia Tech in 1924 in the Department of Engineering, Drawing and Mechanics and remained at the school until his retirement in 1962. He took leaves of absence while pursuing his Ph.D. from Stanford University, receiving his degree in 1941. In 1946, Dr. Weber was appointed the Head of the Mechanical Engineering Department.
In World War II, he served as a navy seaman. Dr. Weber's activities included memberships in the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the American Society of Engineering Education, Phi Kappa Phi, and Pi Tau Sigma.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
Professor August W. Giebelhaus gathered these materials while writing Engineering the New South and subsequently donated them to the Archives in June 1987 (Accession #1987.0709; old number: 87-07-09).
(one half-sized document case).
Yen M. Tang processed these papers in 2000.