Skip to main content

Georgia Tech Faculty Women's Club Records

 Collection
Identifier: UA301

  • Staff Only

Abstract

The Georgia Tech Faculty Women's Club, formerly known as the Georgia Tech Woman's Club, was founded in 1921 as a social and service organization for the wives of faculty members and administrators. Later the Club expanded to include women faculty members and administrators.This collection includes administrative files, financial records, minutes, and yearbooks chronicling the business, social, and charitable activities of the organization. A set of scrapbooks also provide comprehensive documentation of the Club's activities for most of the organization's history.

Dates

  • 1921-2014 (bulk 1921-1997)

Creator

General Physical Description note

(23 boxes: 6 document cases, 1 half-size document case, 16 oversize boxes)

Restrictions: Access

Some of the scrapbooks in this collection are fragile and must be handled with care.

Restrictions: Use

Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.

Extent

11.3 Linear Feet

Scope and Contents

The records of the Georgia Tech Faculty Women's Club at the Georgia Institute of Technology consist of administrative files, financial records, minutes, yearbooks, and scrapbooks, which chronicle the business meetings as well as the social and charitable activities of the organization. The meeting minutes, which also include some financial reports, document the Club's activities from its founding to about 1946; from 1932 onward, the minutes of the Executive Board are included as well. A volume of treasurer's reports from 1933-1950 also documents this earlier period. Other administrative files, including announcements, constitution, membership lists, and programs, are not as voluminous but do provide additional information on the Club's early activities and administration. The printed yearbooks, the officers' reports in the administrative files, and the later financial records chronicle the activities of the organization from the early 1970s through the 1990s.

The scrapbooks in this collection provide the most complete documentation of the Club's activities from the 1930s through the late 1990s. The yearbooks, correspondence, newspaper clippings, photographs and other memorabilia included in these scrapbooks provide comprehensive information on the Club's business, social, and charitable activities during a large part of the Club's history. A "Friendship" scrapbook also chronicles the organization's support of members of the Georgia Tech community at the time of illness or death of a family member.

Administrative History of Georgia Tech Faculty Women's Club

At the urging of Belle Matheson, wife of then-president Kenneth G. Matheson, the Georgia Tech Woman's Club was founded on February 18, 1921 as a social and service organization for the wives of faculty members and administrators. By the late 1920s, membership had broadened to include women employees of Tech, although there were comparatively few at that time. The Club soon became affiliated with the City Federation of Women's Clubs, as well as the General Federation of Women's Clubs. Membership in the Club grew quickly in its first years, beginning with twenty-seven members at the Club's founding, and increasing to fifty within a year. The meetings were generally held in a member's home, and would include a business meeting, followed by either entertainment or an educational component.

Although the Club was primarily a social organization in its early years, the members undertook a number of service projects. They supported campus activities, such as selling tickets for performances by the Marionettes. They sponsored an annual reception in the fall, held at the home of Georgia Tech's president, to welcome new faculty members and their spouses. The annual spring party often served as a fundraiser for the Club's special projects. In the mid-1920s, they adopted the practice of helping a needy family at Christmastime. In 1933, they began assisting Georgia Tech students instead, providing meal tickets or streetcar tickets for students who could not afford them. This practice became more formalized in later years as the Student Aid Fund, which provided loans to students. Later activities included support of international students at Tech with the Foreign Student Fund during the 1960s, and when women began to be admitted to the campus, the group provided scholarships to women students.

Other Club activities included preparing meals monthly at the Tech Y.M.C.A. and various members entertaining groups of freshmen on Sunday evenings. They also answered special calls for assistance from the General Federation of Women's Clubs and the Red Cross; however, they generally stuck to their mission of supporting Tech and its students. Some of their projects benefited themselves; for example, in the early 1940s, the Club worked to get hospitalization insurance for the spouses and children of faculty members and negotiated reduced rates for use of Tech's swimming pool.

Originally known as the Georgia Tech Woman's Club until at least 1969, the group altered its name to the Georgia Tech Women's Club during the 1970-1971 academic year, and the next year made the change to the Georgia Tech Faculty Women's Club. In later years, the Club met in the Green Room of the Y.M.C.A. and still later, in the Wilby Room of the library. The Club also occasionally held joint meetings with the Emory Woman's Club. As the campus has grown in population and size, the Club continues to foster and maintain communications and associations among the faculty and their families in social settings.

Among the group's active members were the wives of the Georgia Tech Presidents, including Belle Matheson, Ella Wall van Leer, Margaret Hansen, and Florence Pettit, among others. Other active members have been members of the faculty, including Georgia Tech librarian Dorothy Crosland, and wives of faculty members, including Nell Trotter, who became Dean of Women at Georgia State University.

Arrangement

The collection is divided into five series:

Missing Title

  1. SERIES 1. Administrative files
  2. SERIES 2. Financial records
  3. SERIES 3. Minutes
  4. SERIES 4. Yearbooks
  5. SERIES 5. Scrapbooks

Other Finding Aids

A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.

Provenance

Obtained in 1985, with several subsequent additions (accession numbers: 1985.1001, 1997.0105, 2000.031, 2001.139, 2001.141, 2002.049, 2003.035, 2004.055, 2005.024).

Accruals

Additions to this collection are made on a regular basis.

Related Material

See also the Georgia Tech Women's Investment Club Records (UA #302), in the Georgia Tech Archives.

Separated Material

The loose photographs from the scrapbooks of this collection have been removed and processed separately as the Georgia Tech Faculty Women's Club Photographs (VAUA301).

General Physical Description note

(23 boxes: 6 document cases, 1 half-size document case, 16 oversize boxes)

General note

Part of this collection was processed in 2000, as the Georgia Tech Woman's Club Records, MS 11. This collection includes the materials that were in MS 11 as well as additional materials that have since been obtained by the Georgia Tech Archives. The titles of all folders from the earlier collection include the manuscript number in their titles.

Processing Information

Christine de Catanzaro processed these records in June 2006.
Title
Inventory of the Georgia Tech Faculty Women's Club Records, 1921-2002 (bulk dates 1921-1997)
Subtitle
UA301
Status
Completed
Author
Christine de Catanzaro
Date
Copyright 2006.
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Archives and Special Collections, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology Repository

Contact:
Library
Georgia Institute of Technology
266 4th Street, NW
Atlanta 30332-0900 USA
404-894-4586